Last updated on
Most people more than likely equate SEO with a system in which you can promote a business site or an affiliate site in order to get more business drawn to your site so you can make some profit. However, that is not all SEO can do for you. In fact, you can, if done properly use this same system to help you manage your online reputation.
Remember, that your online reputation can actually end up reflecting back upon your “real life” reputation and that can have a lot of negative effects on your life in the long run. It may even have enough influence to cause problems in school, if you are a student, problems at work and could even keep you from getting into a good college or even getting a job.
You can check out our Online Reputation Management Tutorial to know more about it
Important Things to Remember
1. Before you can even begin to try and manage your online reputation, you first have to assess it and see what is going on. You can simply do that by typing in your name in a variety of different search engines and then go and set up search alerts for your name.
2. If you find something that seems unflattering you need to ask yourself if you posted it. For example did you post some photos on a photo account that you really should have kept private? If so, delete them or adjust your privacy settings. If there are offensive things present that you had nothing to do with, you can use Google URL removal tool and it will stop it from showing up in search results.
3. If something is posted on a high traffic news site you can help manage your online reputation by using a service called Brand Yourself and you can do this by creating a positive profile of yourself with your full name and use as many positive links as you can in your favor on the news site that has something negative about you. The more positive things you add to your profile the quicker the negative will be eliminated.
4. If you can’t get rid of the negative completely, your only other choice is to create more positive content as often as you can in order to push the negative results about you down further and further in the rankings. This is where social networks come into play and can become powerful tools. Places like Facebook and Twitter carry a lot of SEO power, more so than just a blog. So it is important to use these two as tools to better your online reputation.
5. Another SEO technique is to make yourself an identity hub. This is one way you can help to push up your positive presence even more. This is a hub that will link to all of your positive content that you are trying to get people to see.
6. You need a domain name and it should include search terms that include your name. You need to make sure to mention yourself when are trying to get the attention of the search spiders. You want these spiders to know the page is about you. So, a good way to do this is to make sure that you use your name often. A good way to do that is to make sure your name is used in both headers and tabs.
7. Do your best to get links to your content on your page. The more links you have from other reputable sites the better off your online reputation is going to be. Generally, each link that you have of your site on another site is almost like a vote for your personal site and for you. The more you have the better off you are going to be.
8. Don’t forget to use Twitter and Facebook and the various links you might be able to get from these two sources. Their links or “votes” can be very influential on how good of an online reputation you are going to have.
9. Get your site linked onto as many reputable sites as you can find and then take all of these sites and put them as links on your identity hub.
10. It is also going to help your reputation if you do posting often. Make sure that all of the posts you make contain fresh and positive content. In order for more people to see what you are posting, it is a good idea to put all the different social media feeds on your blog and then your posts will automatically be sent out through these different feeds.
11. Do your best to be active with your online community. This means to make sure that you participate in a positive manner such as posting on forums and blogs that are in the same category as yours and offer positive feedback to others. The more positive interactions you have with others on their sites, the better off your reputation is going to be.
12. Another thing you can do is to join some free websites that allow you to publish you articles. Some examples of sites that do this are Buzzle, Content Articles and Helium. Here you can post positive content that will help build your online reputation. You should probably try and post one article on a topic that you know a lot about once a week.
13. Don’t forget to take your personal blog and make sure that it is registered with several different reputable blog directories like Blog Catalog or Blogflux, just to name a couple.
14. Don’t forget to get involved with hosted blog sites like WordPress or Blogger. You can set up accounts at either of these online sites and get your positive image out to the public with their easy software programs.
15. Always remember to define your keywords sensibly, create your own searches and plug these results into your RSS reader.
All of these things can contribute to helping you either clean up your reputation or ensure that your online reputation is kept intact at all times. Remember that the best policy is to always post things that are positive and are going to look positive to all who see it. Try to avoid sharing private things that could come back to haunt you at a later date.