Email marketing is a kind of internet marketing that occurs when a company sends promotional messages or materials to groups of people by email. Usually, these messages contain advertisements, commercial messages, sales solicitation or donation, or a call for business.
Any kind of email with the said content can be considered email marketing and their purpose is to acquire new customers, build or enhance a company’s relationship with their current customers, and for the customers consider a repeat business with them to develop trust, loyalty, or to give them awareness about their brand.
For email marketing to work, a marketer must know the deliverability of an email. Deliverability is defined as the way an email marketer measures the success of their email campaign reaching a subscriber’s inbox. It doesn’t only distinguish if the email is an existing one, but also if the internet service provider of the email’s owner throttles the income of high volumes of messages, if the email sends several messages with the same content to spam, and similar problems. One such tool that email marketers can use to measure the deliverability of emails is G-Lock Apps.
Email marketers carry out their email campaigns by using different types of emails.
The first one is a transactional email. These emails arrive at a customer’s inbox once they’ve done business with a merchant. These emails are what guide the customer through their purchase of a product or service, or to complete or confirm a transaction they made with the sender. An example of these transactional messages are purchase order or return confirmations, order statuses, and electronic or email receipts.
The second one is a direct email. The purposes of these emails is solely to present promotional material such as announcements, special offers, discounts, or maybe a glimpse of a product catalog available online.
The third is the ‘Welcome!’ emails. These emails are what customers receive when they sign up for a mailing list. This is what starts the establishment of trust with the customer, the enhancement of the brand, and to show the credibility of a company.
The last is the newsletter emails. The purpose of these emails is to give customers the gist of products a company has on a regular basis. However, a marketer has to know what the goal of the newsletter is, such as an increase in social sharing, strengthen the image of the brand, or maybe nurture the company’s relationship with an existing customer.
There are both advantages and disadvantages to using email marketing in comparison to traditional advertising mail.
Email marketing is popular with companies for the following reasons:
- An exact return on investment can be tracked. It has been proven to be high when done properly. Email marketing is often reported as second only to search marketing as the most effective marketing tactic.
- Compared to traditional mail, email marketing is cheaper and faster than traditional mail. Traditional mail requires time for producing the artwork, printing, addressing, and mailing.
- Email provides a cost-effective method to test a variety of marketing content. This includes visual creative, marketing copy and multimedia assets. The data gathered by testing in the email channel can then be used across all channels of both print and digital marketing campaigns.
- Advertisers can reach substantial numbers of email subscribers who chose to receive email communications on subjects of interest to them.
- If compared to standard email, direct email marketing produces higher response rate and higher average order value for e-commerce business.
- The mail can be classified as spam. People’s inboxes get inundated with email, both solicited and unsolicited. Many servers have filters in place to cut down the amount of unwanted emails. People can also further adjust their email filters to their own tastes. This could result to the email to land in a spam folder and never get viewed.
- Email marketing requires constant tweaking to keep the subscribers engaged. The marketer must work to maintain a level of engagement to keep the reader from unsubscribing. Another thing to work on is to carefully craft the email marketing to look exactly the marketer envisioned it.
Businesses use email marketing as an affordable and effective advertising tool. Despite the cons, it allows marketers to reach millions of customers in just a single click. When used correctly, it will definitely earn the marketer more money.
Here’s a more detailed slideshow presentation on Email Marketing and how you can use this for your SEO.
Basically, the slideshow talks about how Email Marketing directly affects your SEO. One of the key takeaways from the slideshow is that email subscribers are considered “converted” the moment they subscribe to your website. They are also more likely to share your content which translates to positive social signals.
Why is that a good thing? Your subscribers receive your posts every time so they are always informed. They get the information that they want while you have their permission to market more of your content to them. That is always a win-win scenario in SEO.
Getting started with your own email marketing is easy – all you have to do is sign up for either MailChimp or Benchmark since they offer freemium accounts; that’s great for people who are starting out.
All of these and more are discussed in the slideshow so do check it out!